Blackfield Entertainment, headquartered in Gilbert, Arizona, is a film and commercial production company that has expanded into game development with an experienced team of artists and designers. We’re currently working on developing a new and imaginative game for both PC and Nintendo Switch with a team that has a long history of game development for mobile and other consoles. We’re looking for a talented, creative, and highly-skilled Unity programmer to join our team.
Do you thrive taking ideas from concept to device? Love playing games... but prefer building them more? If this sounds like you, and your passions include video games, pop culture, and anime… then we want to meet you!
The Lead Unity Engineer is responsible for building out the full functionality of the game based on design documents, and to provide a toolset for designers to use within the Unity framework. The Unity Engineer will be primarily responsible for implementing game functionality, translating design ideas, concepts, and requirements into a functional and engaging game.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or 4 years equivalent experience.
- Experience working on 3D games
- Experience in creating game design, system architecture, and/or working prototypes or engines
- Some experience with Data Exchange (e.g. XML, JSON, dynamic content), MySQL, and/or Microsoft SQL Server
- Experience with Git
- Minimum 3+ years programming experience in Unity development
- Experience developing for games across a variety of platforms (PC, mobile, etc)
- Solid C# knowledge
- Experience with Unity API’s, Visual Studio
- Graphics optimization
- Solid architecture, system design, and analytical skills
- High level of confidence working equally with game art and programming
- Ability to collaborate effectively with remote team members
- Ability to think creatively to resolve technical and creative challenges
- Strong debugging and problem solving skills
- Ability to quickly pick up and learn new game development techniques and practices.
- Ability to adapt and be creative for new as well as already existing systems.
- Highly self-motivated and organized with strong attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills; able to independently prioritize and multi-task
- Code readability
- Good written/spoken English
- Coding test may be required.
Positive consideration will be given to candidates that also have experience in:
- PC Game Development
- Nintendo Switch Development
- Shader programming
- Particle systems
- Unity GUI Development
- Data structure and design pattern knowledge.
- Working in an Agile/Scrum process with a multidisciplinary team
RESPONSIBILITIES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO):
- Work closely with the director and designers to develop and implement gameplay requirements
- Develop tools, features, and pipelines for asset implementation
- Actively participate in the game development process, engaging the team and resolving issues
- Identify weak points in the code pipeline and work with team to develop the most practical resolution
- Implement UI efficiently and integrate with the engine codebase
- Test and document code
- Provide recommendations to management, as well as follow on solutions, to achieve strategic and operational goals
- Work with testers to ensure quality content
NOTES FOR APPLICANTS:
- Please include a link to your online portfolio and your resume. Resumes can be attached to your email application or provided as a link to view online (No cover letter is needed.)
- This is a long-term contract role. (Additionally, there will be an opportunity to become a full time employee if the games sales goals are met after launch.)
- In addition to contract pay, a percentage share of net sales is also provided.