We're looking for a 3D Environment Artist to join us and help push forward an exciting new project!
Chuhai Labs is an indie developer / publisher founded in 2020 by Nintendo alumnus Giles Goddard who developed classic titles including Star Fox, 1080 Snowboarding, Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Chuhai Labs is located in the beautiful city of Kyoto, Japan.
Why Chuhai Labs?
As a company we embrace remote working, and recognise its benefits. As long as we get the results we need - excellent work, which satisfies our customers, done on schedule - we are willing to be as flexible as we can. We offer rare chances for accomplished people from all over the world in all walks of life, to work their ideal job whilst living the life they want, at their own pace.
What We Need You To Do
- Be a driving force for the creation of all 3D environments for the entire game, and part of the decision making for all environment-related assets, to meet goals outlined by the Art Director.
- Exhibit excellent knowledge of 3D environment design principles and the ability to model a wide variety of environments.
- Create all 3D environment assets and their textures, from concept art and design briefs.
- Work in tandem with the Technical Artist, Lighting Artists, VFX Artists and Animators to ensure all finished 3D environments are brought to life effectively and efficiently.
- Ensure that all art assets are successfully integrated into the game and follow the protocols decided by yourself and the Technical Artist.
- Work with the Lead Artist and Project Manager to ensure all environment related tasks are properly estimated and managed.
Required Experience & Knowledge
- 3+ years of commercial game development experience.
- Have shipped at least one commercial game.
- Proficient and comfortable using the Unity game engine.
- Experience creating high-quality, stylized environment assets for Unity and applying textures, materials and shaders in engine.
- In-depth knowledge of modeling, using techniques to produce good quality, cost effective topology in Maya, or equivalent 3D software.
- Strong understanding of asset and terrain creation for expansive worlds (LOD (level of detail) requirements, etc.).
- Strong technical ability to manage and plan assets to achieve desired results within engine constraints.
- Self-motivated, well-organized, and proactive about expanding knowledge and learning new skills.
- Highly skilled with Substance Painter.
- Experience working with version control software (such as Perforce, Git etc.).
- 5+ years of commercial game development experience.
- Multiple shipped commercial games on a variety of platforms, particularly home consoles.
- Highly skilled with Substance Designer.
- Highly skilled with Z-Brush.
- Skilled with Houdini, World Builder or other procedural tools.
- Currently resides in Japan
What's The Next Step?
- Click the button below to send us an email with the subject line "3D Environment Artist - Job Application" and apply!
- We’ll invite all appropriate candidates to a video interview.
- We’ll keep all applicants informed of their status throughout the hiring process.
- Join a team and studio worth falling in love with!
Chuhai Labs is an independent game studio and publisher based in the birthplace of Nintendo - Kyoto, Japan! We founded Chuhai Labs in 2020 as a brand of VITEI Backroom. Led by industry and Nintendo veteran Giles Goddard, our studio innovates through unique game design, embracing technical advances, and ultimately via relentlessly pursuing fun. We develop games on a huge variety of platforms, from home consoles and PC to the extraordinary Playdate, Meta Quest, and even location-based VR. We’re always hungry for great new adventures!
Work With Us!
We’re looking for like-minded innovators for Chuhai Labs’ next projects! We develop for a huge variety of platforms and like to keep things interesting. Are you someone with great skills looking for a new adventure? Take a look at our open positions and embark on your career with us today!
What We Offer
- Remote work from anywhere in the world, with the potential to live and work in Kyoto.
- Experienced and talented coworkers determined to push the boundaries of gaming.
- The chance to make a real impact on new, experimental and exciting franchises, where your contribution is clear to see.
- A fair, professional and collaborative working environment where everyone has a voice.
- A multicultural, inclusive team who foster a studio culture based on respect, where all are positively encouraged to be involved.
Cursed to Golf is a challenging golf-like adventure where every shot counts. Players are tasked with making it out of Golf Purgatory to become a Golfing Legend. With insane hazards, otherworldly power-ups and tons of replayability, will you make it back alive or will you forever be… Cursed to Golf!?
Crank it yo! Master the waves and hang ten in Whitewater Wipeout! This wave crashing, high score chasing, crank-tastic experience is inspired by the classic California Games. Experience surfing in an innovative new way while performing sick tricks using the Playdate's unique crank. Perform daring 360’s, gnarly DOUBLE 360s all while avoiding the shark. Will you rise in the ranks of the global leaderboards or fall prey to the wave?
The creator of 1080 Snowboarding is back with Carve Snowboarding, an all new snowboarding experience! Hit the slopes and encounter realistic arcade snowboarding like never before.