Doborog Games is looking for an experienced Gameplay Engineer to join our team and work on our upcoming robot-laser-sword fighting game, Clone Drone VR!
What we're looking for:
- A few years of professional experience as an engineer in games.
- Mastery of Unity and C# development.
- Experience with source control.
- Knowledge of software design patterns and data structures. A passion for writing code that is simple, powerful, clean and easy to work with.
- Ability to work in a self-directed way, breaking down high level tasks into a concrete action plan, owning the delivery of features from start to finish.
- Knowledge of Physics and 3D math, ability to make Unity rigidbodies bend to your will in ways that are controlled, delightful and performant. You're the person who knows what a Quaternion is.
- Taking the lead on implementing big new gameplay features.
- Iterating on features based on feedback from the project’s Game Designer.
- Working within an existing codebase, striking a good balance between following the established design patterns and improving the architecture in positive new directions.
- Profiling the game’s performance and improving it where needed.
- Working with 3D artists to integrate beautiful new art into the game.
- Coordinate with other team members about your work, updating the status of your tasks. Communicate around progress and timelines in a thoughtful way that lets us adjust scope and deadlines rather than work hours.
Nice to have (but not required):
- An interest in game design
- Experience with VR
- An appreciation for game feel
- Experience with netcode
- Tech art or shader knowledge
Working with us:
Our team is fully remote. Candidates should be able to accommodate at least a three-hour daily overlap with the U.S. Pacific Timezone to enable synchronous design collaboration. We are a small core team of 7 (4 full-time) and as a studio we value:
- openness and rapid iteration - we’re often livestreaming our development, sharing clips of progress on our TikTok, and providing Early Access builds to our community for visibility and feedback.
- long-term happiness - we don't crunch, and we do our best to create an environment that values your long-term happiness over surprise deadlines.
- reflection and growth - we regularly hold retrospectives to reflect on what’s gone well and where we can improve, and celebrate team members’ wins.
- learning new things and making games! - our team loves prototyping and learning new things, and we regularly hold week-long game jams where team members can work on anything they’d like, whether it’s making a game to put on itch.io or learning a new skill.
- Salary range: 75,000 USD - 130,000 USD based on experience
- Location: Remote, available during Pacific Time (at least a 3 hour overlap)
- Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week)
*Application closing date 10 February 2023
Doborog Games was founded by solo indie developer Erik Rydeman (Playfish, Popcap and EA Mobile) and has since grown into a small core team of 7. Our first full game, Clone Drone in the Danger Zone, started as a small prototype that quickly gathered traction on YouTube, further developed in Steam Early Access, and fully released on Steam, Xbox, Nintendo Switch and PlayStation in 2021. We are now working on a sequel in VR that aims to push the state of VR combat games forward!
Clone Drone in the Danger Zone is a robot voxel slice-em-up where any part of your body can be sliced off, which plays out across a variety of singleplayer, online multiplayer and online co-op modes. With your human mind downloaded into a robot gladiator, you must survive the sinister trials of the arena and join the human resistance against the evil robot empire.