As a 3D Character Artist, you'll be an integral part behind bringing our world of Puppets to life.
If, like us, you believe we are creating an original IP that will create fun and joy in the player's hearts and minds, then please apply.
With You, We are very much looking forward to bringing to life our world and characters for our current game, upcoming DLC and future game(s).
Skills & Requirements
To thrive as an 3D Character Artist at Flatter Than Earth you would:
- Create high quality 3D characters based on iterative Concept Art and/or other guidelines.
- A minimum of 4 years of full-time professional experience as a video game 3D Character Artist.
- (Optional) minimum 16 months as a Supervisor/Lead Artist.
- If it is your desire to become a lead/supervisor of a small character art team, grow into that role with our support.
- Review and give feedback on 2D and in-engine game art, with particular attention on how it can further support the story and/or artistic qualities of the game.
- Collaborate with teammates to maintain the artistic vision of the Product.
- Exceptional communication and teamwork skills.
- Good knowledge of English (the team is multicultural) both spoken and written.
- Be part of the iterative design process for characters and support their progress & development.
- Participate in review of character art and feedback with ideas & possible solutions.
- Make sure to know the relationship between art & the story of our IP, so that they support each other.
- Maintain the quality and art style of 3D character art consistent across the project. If required, bridge stylistic gaps between 2D Concept Art & final 3D.
- Create & adjust 3D polygonal flow and 3D character loops to meet rig and animation team requirements.
- Strong grasp of Substance Painter, Zbrush and 3D modeling packedge.
- Adhere & maintain a 3D character art pipeline for high quality art set in Unity engine environment (URP). Improve methodology when possible.
- Optimize character assets to meet target platform performance goals.
- Take ownership over technical requirements of 3D character art that is under your care.
- You will have to join us to see the gigantic amount of heart and quality we have poured in since our last PAX Prime presentation.
- We agree with 99% of Earth's population that Earth is round.
- We are looking for candidates that can start between now and January.
- We are a premium AA+ Indie that has all the elements to become a highly recognized IP.
- Job Type: Always Remote, ideally Full-Time but can start as Part-Time.
- Freelance Contract: core team member (current game + DLC + future game(s)).
We are offering You
- To be a very important part of the development of Once Upon a Puppet a puzzle-platformer game with many elements that make for a memorable experience in this genre.
- Be Indie and away from corporate bureaucracy and a heavy chain of command that slows down decision making & creativity.
- Be part of the core team, you will not be a cog in a machine, your voice will be heard & important.
- Your creativity will not be limited by corporate processes, only self-limited by "blue-sky" yet realistic ideas that enhance the fun and do not kill scope.
- You will work remotely and manage your own time & location to focus.
- Choose when you want to take a day off or have a longer vacation.
- We at FTE heavily promote a culture free from crunch. Do not do it, it can have terrible effects.
- Other team members will be glad to teach you or learn from you.
- Your input will have an effect on the project and its final form.
- If wanted, representing the game, team & company at game dev. events.
- You will feel you are responsible and a true owner of the game you are making.
- You are learning and evolving with us, Flatter Than Earth, a team & company aiming for big things.
How to Apply
Please introduce yourself and send your resumes & stylized portfolios via email with subject header: [WWI] Full Name - Your skill level - 3D Char. Artist - Current Location
- For skill level choose: Student, Intern, Junior, Regular, Senior, Lead, Director or Studio/Team
- WWI = Work With Indies
To help us understand your perspective, if you can please mention:
- When do you prefer to start
- Is Full-Time possible or you prefer to start as Part-Time first
- Your freelancer rate range (Independent Indie vs. big wealthy studio)
- Your game industry work experience (years)
- What draws you to us and our game/IP
Add the GDPR consent: I hereby give my consent for the information provided on this form to be held on computer or other relevant filing systems in accordance with the GDPR 2022.
If you are a good fit, then a follow up email will be sent your way.
At Flatter Than Earth, our mission is to create whimsical video games that triple A studios do not dare to make.
We're a multidisciplinary, fully remote team that’s passionate about creating video games and help players have fun. We thrive on innovating new solutions to old challenges and we seek to rethink how interesting themes (like theater & puppets or music) can merge into games that speak to the heart, mind & soul.
Our current project, Once Upon a Puppet aims to capture the attention and unleash the imagination of gamers of all ages.
Our core values are:
They are few, but they are strong. From creating processes to decision-making and finding the right team-members, we build & see our 5 core values in every thing we do.
- Independence. Others can trust that you’ll be organized, pro-active and deliver what you agreed to and vice versa.
- Mastery. You love what you do and care deeply about the quality of your work. You’re continuously learning and pushing yourself to expand your abilities further. You're never satisfied with the status-quo.
- Communication. Your communication is spontaneous, clear, concise, and engaging whether you're explaining a complex idea or providing feedback to a teammate.
- Ambition & Balance. You aspire to put a dent into the gaming industry. To do this, you set high standards for yourself and those around you. The time you spend on work isn’t measured by quantity, but by quality.
- Impact. You're able to take a bird's eye view to pinpoint and then solve issues that have a high impact on our players, our team, and our company. You're committed to the health and success of both your teammates and Flatter Than Earth as a company.
We at Flatter Than Earth THANK YOU and are looking forward to hearing from You! :-)
PAX Prime - Official Judge Selection - During a rigorous selection process, PAX judges invited FTE and our Game to be placed in the best spot next to Sega and Twitch booths. It was a great honor and there was a fantastic amount of interest in our game.