Giant Army is looking for a physics developer to join our team. You will work with our senior physics developer, team scientists, and other developers to add the necessary physics and simulation code to bring realistic, sandbox-style spaceships to Universe Sandbox.
We are embracing Unity’s Data-Oriented Technology Stack to write fast, multi-threaded code in C#. DOTS uses the Entity Component System (ECS), the C# Jobs System, and the Burst Compiler. We expect applicants to be familiar with data-oriented design.
This is a full-time, remote position.
Join us. We’re making something incredible that’s unlike anything else.
• Develop rigid body simulation
• Our physics engine is currently 100% custom, but we may in the near future use some portions of Unity Physics (DOTS)
• Write fast, multi-threaded code using Unity DOTS
• Build upon the rigid body simulation and innovate with spaceship features such as:
• Data-driven historical simulations (Cassini, Voyager, etc.)
• Modular spaceship parts
• Destruction of spacecraft from heating, lasers, and collisions (both from other spacecraft and asteroids/planets/moons)
• Integration with our planned megastructures/tethers feature
• Strong C# & Unity Engine experience
• Familiarity with data-oriented design & ECS (entity component system)
• Experience with physics engine development
• Familiarity with version control (we use GitHub), task-management systems (we use GitHub+ZenHub), unit tests, code reviews, and so forth
• Self-driven; comfortable working collaboratively and remotely
• Appreciation for, and a focus on, realism and detail
• Passion for science, astronomy, spaceships, and real-time interactive simulations
Giant Army is the company behind Universe Sandbox. Our headquarters are in Seattle, Washington, USA, with team members across the United States, Germany, Denmark, and Australia.
Team members enjoy a flexible, collaborative environment that values work-life balance. We pursue the features that get us excited about science, and we do the work so we can share it with others. We strive to create an accessible experience that can’t be found elsewhere.
We believe science and video games are for everyone, regardless of identity, and we’re committed to making an inclusive workplace. We encourage anyone who shares our passion for space to apply.
Universe Sandbox is a powerful space simulator that lets you create and destroy on an unimaginable scale. Experiment with gravity, climate, and collisions to reveal the beauty of our universe and the fragility of our planet. It’s more than a game; it’s a way of experiencing and learning about reality in a way that’s never been done before.
It’s more than a game; it’s a way of experiencing and learning about reality in a way that’s never been done before.
Universe Sandbox is available on Windows, Mac, Linux, and VR with mobile and future platforms planned. We’ve sold over half a million copies and have a “Very Positive" rating on Steam with 93% positive user reviews.
How to Apply
Click the Apply button and fill out the form.
Resume and writing sample required. Please either upload or include links.