Space Rat Studios is a game development startup creating our Triple-I flagship title, a new sub-genre of racing with a proprietary system that will revolutionize racing games. Our prototype is already built and our primary mechanic has a provisional patent application filed. We're in the process of talking to publishers.
We are seeking a technical leader to join a team that values storytelling, curiosity, and passion; a combination we believe yields originality and fun user experiences. The ideal candidate will have at least 8 years of engineering experience in the game industry and be a result-oriented leader with a strong sense of accountability to support the company’s success.
As we continue development towards the vertical slice, you will have a huge say in the direction of the game and be responsible for building a scalable architecture. A successful candidate will be able to work in the trenches and implement early ideas as well as work across multi-disciplinary teams to achieve their goals.
This is a great role for a fast problem solver who approaches challenges from a place of “everything is possible” to find innovative solutions during development of our current and future games.
- Lead technical development of game
- Work closely with Creative, Product, Design, and Technical leadership to build a high quality game that will resonate with players.
- Partner with stakeholders to establish clear priorities and defining expectations which translate to a scope of work
- Assess challenges, craft a scalable architecture, own the technical design, and run with implementation.
- Manage external engineering contractors
- Translate design specifications into functional game mechanics.
- Think about the game from a player perspective and not your own. You offer ways to improve a design while also simplifying implementation.
- Help maintain code quality, cleanliness & organization.
- Work in the trenches with a team of engineers, understanding their strengths and opportunities for growth, and surfacing opportunities for development.
- 8+ years of experience leading teams and AA quality products, with one or more published titles as Lead Engineer or higher role.
- A love for game design and thorough knowledge of PC & Console development.
- Unity and/or Unreal Engine experience, C#, C++
- Demonstrated ability to write efficient, readable, and reliable code.
- Multiplayer Networked Game Experience
- Proficient knowledge of Git
- Strong physics background
- Leadership experience across console, PC, and mobile game dev
- Proven transparent communication with a focus on expectations fostering trust with internal stakeholders and external partners
- Entrepreneurial mindset, passionate, flexible mindset, easily adaptable to change.
- Slightly obsessed with start-ups and to build exceptional products from ground up!
- Pre-seed funding: Equity commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Post-seed funding: Salary and full benefits