At League of Geeks, we are passionate about creating successful, unique games that break the mould. As a permanent member of our internal quality assurance team, you are responsible for ensuring the stability and quality of all pre-release and live builds, across all the studio’s projects and platforms. Primarily, this is done by manually testing builds and features, monitoring automated testing systems, and triaging community and internal bug reports. Clear, effective, and compassionate communication (both written and verbal) internally with all departments, and also externally with our games' communities, is critical in this role.
In this role, you will be the primary representative for quality assurance for one of our two new videogames. Working across PC and console, you will employ a strong understanding of our game’s mechanics, systems and high-level project objectives to find, identify, collate and prioritise issues as they arise.
As a two-time Australian Studio of the Year, we are committed to building one of the best working environments in the world, with a genuine focus on well-being, skill development, and the correct ratio of pot plants to humans. So if you’re keen to work with one of the world’s leading independent studios on two brand new, exciting PC/console projects, we'd love to hear from you!
Women and other underrepresented developers, please apply! We pride ourselves on our inclusive work environment and output, so we’d love to work with you.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in quality assurance for commercial videogame projects.
- Advanced knowledge of Jira and/or other project management/bug tracking software.
- Curiosity, commitment to quality in all you do, and a passion for the player experience,
- A willingness and desire to learn and engage with the intricacies of the game development process.
- Detail sensitivity, a proven aesthetic eye and strong design sensibilities.
- Experience playing games and knowledge of contemporary game design conventions.
- Able to manage competing priorities, whilst working in a quality-oriented, deadline-driven environment.
- A commitment to working in a professional, inclusive and supportive environment.
- Ability to work independently; managing time, task lists and workflow with ease.
- Excellent communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
- A passion for motivating, inspiring, mentoring and educating your fellow team members.
As Quality Assurance here at League of Geeks, you will be responsible for ensuring the stability and quality of all pre-release and live builds, across all the studio’s projects and platforms as well as:
- Find, identify, log and prioritise bugs in the company’s bug tracking software.
- Create accurate, detailed and reproducible descriptions of problems.
- Test and review internal work from individual features through to entire builds, and work with colleagues as necessary to sign-off on their release.
- Creation and upkeep of comprehensive test plans, for differing end users and stakeholders.
- Monitor inbound player communications and player feedback, directing it to relevant stakeholders.
- Respond to emails and Steam/forums posts about bugs and issues, dealing directly with players to solve technical issues and identify reported bugs. Provide design and implementation feedback to feature stakeholders.
- Flag critical issues with production and relevant stakeholders.
- Identify and implement processes to reduce code and QA department workload.
- Assist external resources with onboarding and technical issues as necessary.
- Evaluate new technologies and processes, and contribute to ongoing documentation and departmental policies.
- Bring your dog to work! Yeah, dogs!
- Talent development, mentorship and support.
- Regular self-directed professional development days.
- Flexible work arrangement opportunities and family-friendly considerations.
- Menstrual, Menopause and Parental leave.
- Sustainable working hours, environment and life-work balance.
- Friday afternoon team social events, including monthly get-togethers.
- Annual Summer family picnic, Winter Feast and Melbourne Games Week party.
- Located in Melbourne, Australia. World’s most liveable city seven years in a row.
How to Apply:
Send us an email with a cover letter, an up-to-date CV and folio with examples of your work (folio submission optional).
In your cover letter, please tell us in 250 words or less, what is the single-most effective good habit you have seen (or implemented!) on a development team that greatly contributed to ensuring a build’s stability. There are no wrong answers here. Speak from your experience.
- Base remuneration on offer (excluding benefits such as superannuation) is between $63k - $81k p.a AUD. Base remuneration is dependent on experience and expertise of the applicant.
- This role is currently remote due to COVID-19. However, we plan on returning to studio when it is safe to do so. Relocation assistance is available for the perfect applicant.
- Please note that due to the large volume of applications we receive, we will be notifying successful applicants first. All unsuccessful candidates will be informed at the end of the hiring process, once the position is filled.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: We’ve temporarily transitioned to a work-from-home model and are continuing to interview and hire during this time. For the safety of staff and applicants, all interview stages will take place via video conference.
For general questions and inquiries, please get in touch with careers (at) leagueofgeeks (dot) com.
“Crafting inspiring videogames and enthralling worlds, with exceptional people.”
League of Geeks (you can call them LoG) is a “Triple-i” videogame development studio in Melbourne, Australia, most well-known for their seminal digital board game, Armello.
Torchbearers, trailblazers, tastemakers, rebels. This family of ambitious makers is united in their drive to endlessly evolve the craft and culture of videogames.
How We Work:
- Autonomy with Purpose
- We believe empowered teams make great games. Facilitation is not just lighting the way, but getting out of the way. We come together every day to craft exceptional videogames, served and supported by strong, compassionate and transparent leadership.
- The Three C's
- All of our videogames strive to achieve Critical, Cultural, and Commercial success in equal measures. We’re committed to crafting world-class experiences, that drive the medium forward, without sacrificing our creative independence and financial security.
- People Make Product
- Videogames are rad. Obviously. That’s why we’re here. You know what’s also great? A life fully lived, quality time with loved ones, health and happiness. Crafting world-class videogames need not sacrifice the most important things in life.
How We Hire:
We know your time is precious, so is ours. Getting to know people can be weird too. Real Weird. We have a transparent recruitment framework to ensure it’s as speedy and natural as possible.
- Confirmation Email. You’ll receive an email confirming you are being considered for the position and to arrange a Meet ‘n’ Greet.
- Meet 'n' Greet. The hiring manager and department lead will host an informal interview to say hi, discuss the role and LoG, as well as your application, ambitions and experience.
- Reference Checks. We’ll call a few folk and make sure you’re as awesome as you say (and we think) you are.
- Technical Interview. Next we'll dig into your skills and experience by asking you to present some stuff you're proud of to a handful of your future colleagues.
- Fireside Chat with LoG's Founders. This unscripted conversation is your opportunity to interview the company founders on just about anything you wish.
- Offer. If you’re successful in applying for the position, you'll be notified by phone and receive a formal offer via email.