Ludeon Studios is an independent game developer and creator of the hit sci-fi colony management simulator RimWorld. We love deep PC games and story generators.
Why working with us is awesome
- We have been fully remote since our founding in 2013.
- We don’t crunch – ever. It’s never happened, not for one person, not for one day or for one hour.
- There is no required time to be online. We collaborate asynchronously, so you can choose your own hours and days to work.
- Your work will make people happy, and you’ll see that. Our team is small, so you’ll own specific things and see people engaging with them.
- You’re welcome to engage with the community as well if you wish, or not – it’s up to you.
- We work on games that explore novel ideas and new game design concepts. Every product tries to do something that has never been done before.
- Our team is small, so there’s room to take on different kinds of tasks and to grow into new skills.
- Our game community is full of knowledgeable, friendly, creative, thoughtful people.
- Ludeon is wholly owned by Tynan Sylvester, a game creator. This means that unlike at investor-owned companies, our company strategy does not focus on boosting short-term profit and growth metrics. Ludeon seeks to build long-term success by making creatively-rich products with a stable group of talented team members. At the end of it all, we want to be proud of what we’ve created and how we’ve treated team members and players.
We seek a game designer with a focus on systems design. The work is mostly about writing specification and analysis documents.
Applicants should have done substantial written work in game systems design, ideally on released games. Student projects are not enough.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate their ability at written game design analysis. Games you’ve designed before, game designs you’ve written, or articles about game design are all relevant.
- Write game system specifications for implementation by developers.
- Work with structured data formats like XML to implement and tune gameplay data like weapons, player tools, constructibles, animals, and so on.
- Use analytical tools including spreadsheets, Monte Carlo simulation, debug tools, tester requests, and others to analyze game designs.
- Review implemented features and specify improvements, cuts, and feature replacements.
- Prioritize large lists of tasks to find the most valuable work.
- Coordinate developers, artists, audio experts, testers, and others to keep the project running smoothly and set everyone up for success.
- Organize the project’s polish phase before release. Ensure that the details are handled, everything is high-quality, and nothing slips through the cracks.
- Engage with the community to understand player desires. Adapt designs to service them while also retaining your own design intent.
Non-essential but useful cross-disciplinary skills:
- You can read and write C# code enough to understand implementation details and talk to developers about them.
- You’re skilled enough with image editing to make useful UI mockups.
- You’re a good enough writer to write player-facing texts like quest descriptions, object descriptions, tutorials, and so on.
- You can create pretty good art, or at least understand the elements of an aesthetically-pleasing image.
- You can use data to implement visual effects like explosions, interaction particle effects, and so on.
Please note that we are based in Canada and all work is remote and contract-based. You can be anywhere in the world.
Ludeon's mission is to make creatively-vivacious, original, provocative, and engaging games. Our team members come from diverse origins and hold many different beliefs. Please be ready to work on this mission with people who might think differently from you.
Please send us an email with the following information:
- Say the role you’re interested in.
- Say where you’re located.
- Include a traditional resume.
- Be concise and focus on showing the things you’ve created. YouTube videos of your games, art, or projects are great starting points for this.
- For programmers, please include links to code you’ve written. Bigger projects are best, especially if we can see whole projects and how they fit together.
- For artists, please include a link to your portfolio.
RimWorld is a sci-fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller. Generate stories by simulating psychology, ecology, gunplay, melee combat, climate, biomes, diplomacy, interpersonal relationships, art, medicine, trade, and more.