Hey there – we’re Qloud Games, and we’re working on Loftia. We are searching for a gameplay engineer to join us in our dream to build an incredible social & cozy gaming experience. You will be joining our small team of engineers building out a polished vertical slice of Loftia, to be showcased in our KickStarter campaign slated for Q2, 2023.
Loftia is a social, cozy multiplayer game, set in a modern city on a floating sky island, where players will farm, build, and contribute to the growth of a solarpunk world. Heavily inspired by games such as Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing, Loftia aims to mix the chill, relaxing atmosphere of those games with the social and community-oriented aspects of a multiplayer online game. The core underlying theme of the game is to create a sense of community, build a world grounded in sustainability, and inspire shared hope for the future.
Your Role & Responsibilities
- You will be taking a role in the entire development process from designing and planning, to prototyping, implementing, iterating, and polishing features, and
- working as a generalist across the project, which will include (in an engineering context): systems design, infrastructure and build systems, multiplayer support for features, etc., and
- reviewing other engineers’ code and assisting with continued revision of the team’s processes & best practices, and
- actively communicating and collaborating with the rest of the team throughout this process.
- (optional) participating in and having a say in major decisions affecting the entire Loftia project, as our team works in a democratic manner
The ideal candidate will have:
- Relevant experience with Unreal Engine and Unreal C++,
- a solid understanding of both computer science core principles, and software engineering methodologies and best practices,
- a strong understanding of how to design and implement networked game features,
- a strong ability to break down large, hairy problems into smaller, more manageable chunks,
- an open and flexible way of working; knowing how to choose the right tool for the job, and how to effectively deal with conflicting requirements (eg. tradeoffs between engineering quality / following rigid processes, and time constraints)
- a proactive, can-do attitude, with a curious and growth-oriented mindset.
What we can offer:
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly talented, ambitious and motivated group of indie game developers, on a project that truly means a lot to each us.
- Fully remote & completely flexible working hours.
- Equity ownership in Qloud Games & Loftia is on the table, in addition to the hourly rate.
- Form of employment: Full-time contract
- Employment length: 5 months, with potential to transform into a longer-term, permanent position
- Employment location: Fully remote (slight preference for residents of Sydney, Australia)
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Rate: $25-$30 USD/hour.
How to apply
Reach out to Michael via the provided email with your resume (and anything else you feel is relevant) attached. In your initial email, please also let us know what interests you the most, in this role. We’re really looking forward to hearing from you!