RiffRaff Games is looking for a Senior Gameplay System Designer for the development of a new unannounced title! You will be designing with stealth gameplay in mind, and implementing character toolsets and player progression systems, taking direction from the Design Director.
As a Gameplay System Designer, you are a great collaborator and can communicate across the whole team to drive towards quality. You are capable of designing, prototyping, and utilizing gameplay systems and their parameters to create character skills and items that result in emergent, interesting and spectacular experiences.
This is a full time salaried position, reporting to the Design Director. This job could be performed either working a hybrid model out of our office in Wellington New Zealand, or remote. Relocation assistance is available for moving to Wellington. All staff work on a schedule aligned to NZ Standard Time.
Folks of diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
- 4 day work week (Tuesday - Friday)
- In office, remote, or hybrid options
- Kiwisaver retirement program (New Zealand only)
- Menstrual, Menopause, Bereavement and Parental leave
- Friday afternoon social events involving delicious food and games
- Allowance committed to your personal and professional development
- Support for external education programs, conferences, etc
- Regular 1-on-1s with your lead and studio director
- Dog friendly office (Ruff Ruff!)
- Working in a team full of people that truly care about each other and the games industry!
In the Senior Gameplay System Designer role, you will collaborate with Designers and the Design Director on the following:
- Design, prototype and implement gameplay systems and content related to character skills, envirnomental interactions, mission mechanics, items and power progression.
- Explore creative ways to create unique gameplay items and skills befitting the character and the world.
- Work closely with Designers and Programmers to define and create gameplay systems and ensure a cohesive player experience.
- Provide crisp feedback in order to quickly iterate on concepts, proposing solutions as well as criticisms.
- Work closely with your Lead, Directors and Producers to ensure a timely delivery of design documents and in-game features.
- Use metrics, player feedback, and a multitude of diverse analytics to improve the player’s experience
- Research and analyze games and other related medium for inspiration, and to share, inform, influence and teach rest of the team.
- Contribute to the overall game design. We’re a collaborative group, and we expect every member of the team to have an impact on the overall player experience
You bring to the position the following attributes:
- You have 3+ years of experience as a Gameplay Systems Designer (or equivalent experience showcased in a portfolio of work) with demonstrable experience working on gameplay systems related to character skills, items and power progression.
- You have shipped at least one AA game where you were in design ownership of gameplay systems related to the player’s toolset.
- You have experience with node-based scripting to prototype and implement your ideas
- You are comfortable working in a team environment and to provide and receive constructive criticism.
- You are self-motivated, take initiative and have a demonstrated ability to prototype and iterate quickly.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English)
- You have familiarity with the constraints of stealth-action games and immersive simulations.
- 5+ years in game development, in a Game Design specific role.
- Full development cycle experience for at least 2 published AA titles.
- Experience in stealth-action or immersive sim genre is a bonus.
- A deep understanding of how to design skills and systems that support a stealth sandbox of options for the player to use.
In your cover letter, please tell us in 300 words or less what you feel is the largest systemic weakness in the stealth genre, and what feature you would love to implement to try and resolve it. Go wild!
A game studio with a physical HQ in New Zealand, but with a growing global remote team from around the world. Previously Studio Mayday, our rebrand reflects our new games in development, our new staff, and our new vibe.
We are hiring for multiple roles across many disciplines, available whether you want to work out of our offices in Wellington, New Zealand or if you want to work remotely.
RiffRaff Games is an equal opportunity employer; we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.