RiffRaff Games is looking for a Senior Level Designer for the development of a new unannounced title! You will be designing with stealth gameplay in mind, and implementing functional and fun game spaces, taking direction from the Design Director.
As a Senior Level Designer, you are a great collaborator and can communicate across the whole team to drive towards quality. You demonstrate an ability to take a level design from concept, through all development stages to completion, including planning, 2D and 3D layout, event scripting, encounter design, and have a strong sense of player driven pacing.
This is a full time salaried position, reporting to the Design Director. This job could be performed either working a hybrid model out of our office in Wellington New Zealand, or remote. Relocation assistance is available for moving to Wellington. All staff work on a schedule aligned to NZ Standard Time.
Folks of diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
- 4 day work week (Tuesday - Friday)
- In office, remote, or hybrid options
- Kiwisaver retirement program (New Zealand only)
- Menstrual, Menopause, Bereavement and Parental leave
- Friday afternoon social events involving delicious food and games
- Allowance committed to your personal and professional development
- Support for external education programs, conferences, etc
- Regular 1-on-1s with your lead and studio director
- Dog friendly office (Ruff Ruff!)
- Working in a team full of people that truly care about each other and the games industry!
In the Senior Level Designer role, you will collaborate with Designers and the Design Director on the following:
- Planning design via 2D maps, diagrams, and written documentation.
- Building 3D layout such as blockmesh and world authoring.
- Scripting events and interactions.
- Create well flowing levels that emphasize stealth action gameplay with multiple entry & exit points, different routes, enemy patrols, and emergent gameplay opportunities.
- Communicating the level's design by: leading design discussion and reviews, participating in and/or leading level-production related meetings.
- Contributing toward establishing standards, conventions, and metrics that help guide the team toward quality and consistency.
- Providing in-house staff education on technical level design issues, tools use, and the best implementation practices.
- Forming positive working relationships and demonstrate design process with other Designers, Animators, Artists and Directors.
You bring to the position the following attributes:
- Advanced game design knowledge (both practical and theoretical) that explains the 'why' and intent behind your designs.
- A deep understanding of how to design and build environments that support a stealth sandbox of options for the player to use.
- Ego-less collaboration skills used to rally teammates around work tasks and creative challenges.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Unreal Engine, Maya, or other 3D world building software.
- Experience working with UE Blueprints or visual scripting systems used to create gameplay logic and event choreography.
- Understanding of the values of the game design philosophy behind stealth-action games such as the Metal Gear Solid and the Dishonored series.
- Familiarity with the constraints of stealth-action games and immersive simulations.
- An endless hunger to grow, learn, and improve as a designer.
- 3+ years in game development, or equivalent experience showcased in a portfolio of work.
- 5+ years in game development, with at least 2 years in Level Design specific role.
- Full development cycle experience for at least 2 published AA titles.
In your cover letter, please tell us in 250 words or less, what you feel is the single most valuable principle or lesson you have learned as a professional level designer, that you would share with designers and developers less experienced than yourself. There are no wrong answers here!
A game studio with a physical HQ in New Zealand, but with a growing global remote team from around the world. Previously Studio Mayday, our rebrand reflects our new games in development, our new staff, and our new vibe.
We are hiring for multiple roles across many disciplines, available whether you want to work out of our offices in Wellington, New Zealand or if you want to work remotely.
RiffRaff Games is an equal opportunity employer; we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.