Spherical is hiring a Technical Artist to implement immersive experiences across a series of tools and games supporting climate resilience in Los Angeles. This position is remote.
Spherical is a strategic design and integrative research studio supporting projects regenerating the health and integrity of Earth’s living systems.
OUR CURRENT PROJECT
Spherical is currently developing simulation and visualization technologies to support ongoing efforts to accelerate the climate resilience of Los Angeles County (population 10M).
Designed in collaboration with established community advocates, bioregional planners, game designers, policy analysts, economists, and hydrological modelers, these tools are designed to illuminate the cascading benefits of integrated watershed management. They will enable residents and decision makers to interactively explore the complex dynamics and hidden relationships between ecological health, economic justice, urban infrastructure, and community well-being in the context of a rapidly changing climate.
We value a diverse team and encourage women and people of color to apply.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Implement graphics and animations in WebGL to communicate a vision of climate resilience in Los Angeles, possibly including depictions of urban environments, nature-based infrastructure projects, and water flows, based on concept art
- Draw from and advance our internal world design system (currently under development) to communicate effective and consistent emotional worlds
- Establish environmental lighting and atmospheric effects
- Analyze performance data with developers, as well as brainstorm and implement performance optimizations
- Work with developers to integrate art assets into the broader application, including working under git-based version control and troubleshooting issues
- Maintain a library of models and other assets for reusability across a suite of tools and games
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3+ years of experience in art, animation, or coding for urban or natural environments
- Experience with WebGL
- Experience integrating into agile development workflows and git-based version control
- Experience optimizing performance of artistic assets
- Ability to collaborate with engineers, designers, and product managers
- Ability to synthesize input into artistic directions and communicate the rationale behind decisions
- Proactive communication style, seeking feedback and team alignment on work
- Location: Remote (UTC -8 to -4)
- Term: Contract
- Hours: 30-40/week