On this project, the Lead Designer’s job is to create a fun and engaging gameplay experience. This means primarily working on the game feel: The direct interaction between controller input, player character, music and animation. Thanks to their experience and routine, the Lead Designer inspires and leads the team on this adventure.
In the first year, the project team will be small, iterations will be fast and experiments will be plenty. During this phase, the Lead Designer will be deeply involved in the design and development process, crafting features and mechanics in-engine, while remaining the point person for questions and discussions about mechanics and content by the other team members.
Ideally, your position will naturally evolve into the Game Director role at the beginning of the game’s production.
- Own the game design and experience of the prototype
- Lead the team creatively, providing feedback to their work and uniting everyone around a coherent vision
- Cooperate closely with the Producer to establish the goals for the roadmap and the sprints
- Communicate clearly and often, using a variety of tools, to inform and guide the team
- Inspire, mentor, and lead the creative team to grow their skills and talents
- Establish the design, programming and art pipelines with the team
- Design, sketch and prototype new features with the team
- Research new technologies and development techniques and determine practical applications
- Work with team members in developing the creative vision of future titles
- EU citizenship or EU work permit
- 3+ years experience in the industry, 1+ shipped title
- Proficient in Unreal Engine 5 and standard game development/design tools
- Strong focus on game feel / player controller
- Strong creative and communication skills, ability to inspire and lead a team creatively
- High sense of responsibility, high reliability and independence
- Familiarity with agile / iterative prototyping
- Passion for games and animation
- Bonus points:
- Skilled visual artist
- Experienced prototyper
- Experience with music / rhythm games
What we offer:
- Permanent employment in the creative environment of animation and games
- Salary Range, according to qualifications: 45.000 - 60.000 €, (including government funded health, dental & vision insurance)
- 25 vacation days
- Part-time, home office agreement and relocation support possible
- Unreal Engine training through Epic Games
- A small, highly creative and driven team, which means you can really make an impact on the direction this ship takes, as well as on our future projects
- We highly cherish passion, but we value work-life balance and an ego-free environment even more, and are convinced that these factors have a hugely positive effect on health, happiness, the collaborative spirit and productivity
- An LGBTQIA+ friendly company and inclusive team in which all employees are valued
- Lots of opportunities for interdisciplinary exchange through our Unreal Pipeline which enables us to exchange assets, animations and more with our Animation Studios
- Opportunities to look behind the curtain of the film animation industry and possibly grow into it in the future
- Included Job Public Transport Ticket (live in Berlin, work in Brandenburg)
- Option to grow into Game Director role
If you can see yourself working with us, please don’t hesitate to apply, even if you don’t fit all the requirements! We want to work with diverse personalities, not checklists.
Please send us:
- A CV
- Earliest start date
- Other things (cover letter, portfolio, etc) optional
Send your application via email with the subject line Lead Game Designer. Applications are welcome for as long as this Job Offer is online.
Telescope Games is a newly founded (and funded) games studio right next to Berlin. We’re the sister studio of Telescope Animation, an animation studio creating animated feature films and streaming series. We champion diversity and inclusion in storytelling and in our team, as well as green production. For our technical advancements with Unreal Engine we’ve received two Epic MegaGrants as well as innovation funding from the EU.
The Last Whale Singer is a rhythm-action game with cinematic story sequences for PC and next-gen consoles. Players assume the role of a majestic humpback whale with magical singing abilities who has to dive and chant his way through breathtaking oceanic landscapes to save the world from the ominous Leviathan with the powers of his song. And the player’s movements conduct the music!