As a Systems Design Lead, you will lead the charge on large systems design features. You will tackle economy and progression systems that serve as the glue that holds together our moment-to-moment gameplay. Also, you’ll help build out the interaction paradigms for crafting, managing recipes and inventories, and how players can make a space feel their own. You will also partner with other teams to help create interesting consumables, fun quest lines, and other ways to leverage the intersection of action gameplay, exploration, and multi-session goal setting and progression.
If you are excited to build progression, economy, and building systems that can not only intersect to create fun gameplay experiences but also can be used to drive fun social gameplay experiences, then this role is for you!
- Design, implement, and balance diverse gameplay systems for an semi-open world survival crafting game. Includes reward economies, crafting, building, and social systems.
- Write clear, concise goals driven documentation for owned content and features.
- Work in Unreal Engine to implement systems and content to support owned features.
- Create and monitor gameplay economy including rewards, progression, and player customizations.
- Communicate ideas often and broadly, soliciting cross-discipline feedback and then thoroughly documenting both implemented work and best practices.
- Develop and utilize a suite of progression vectors to give players lots of exciting goals to chase and feel growth in different ways.
- Work with all other disciplines to collaboratively to build exciting designs - cross discipline communication is core to who we are.
- Identify parts of the workflow that could use tool improvements, and help gauge their impact in prioritizing work.
- Prior game industry experience is a must, with 4+ years as a designer on a collaborative team.
- Team-minded, cross-discipline thinker that is mindful of the downstream impact of their work.
- Ability to conform to a design style guide and follow company-wide best practices to ensure uniformity of content so a future designer can understand what you did.
- Strong feedback skills in both directions: should receive feedback gracefully, and be considerate and constructive in delivering their feedback to others.
- Strong economy mindset is a must: have experience balancing large economies, long term progressions, and how to leverage these in a cooperative gameplay experience.
- Technical minded designer with experience taking features from paper design concepts to implemented complete systems.
- Experience with some form of gameplay scripting (LUA, Blueprint, C#, or equivalent).
Who You Are
- Proficient at working in a fully remote team environment. We balance synchronous and asynchronous communication across multiple time zones to get things done.
- Proactive at identifying areas of concern and independently acting on it. We're a small team and the impact of each person is huge!
- Considerate with feedback in both directions. We work to always receive feedback gracefully, deliver feedback constructively, and have discussions and disagreements respectfully.
- Persistent at maintaining a healthy perspective about the larger game we’re building together. We do the extra work to value every team member's point of view and we’re looking for fresh perspectives, especially of those from diverse backgrounds.
- Excited to work on co-operative games with a focus on fun experiences with friends.
- Competitive Compensation
- Early Company Equity
- Medical Travel Support
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Company-paid life insurance
- 401k plan with 3% company matching
- Flexible work schedule
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Extended Winter Break
- Remote Work
Treehouse Games is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
We’re a development studio focused on building collaborative games for a growing, global audience of players who use games as their favorite way to hang out together. Based in Los Angeles, Treehouse is venture-backed and built by industry veterans - half of the team comes from gaming powerhouses including Microsoft, Riot Games and the original DotA mod, and half comes from successful indie startups like Sirvo Studios and Industrial Toys.
We named our studio “Treehouse” because the world needs games that create an inviting hangout space where players spend time with their friends. We focus on the player impact we create through our work, we value feedback from players, and we believe the best teams are built on a culture of trust and respect.
Treehouse is making cooperative experiences that are all about quality time spent with friends. Games that do this well today see amazing engagement among audiences all around the world - we’re looking for diverse candidates with unique backgrounds to bring these and other meaningful perspectives to our team.
Treehouse Games is looking for amazing people who are excited to create games that are the best way for friends to spend time together.