We are looking for a passionate gameplay engineer to join our small but growing engineering team. You will lead efforts to build out core gameplay elements of our exciting creative open-world sandbox game.
This is a full-time role, available as an in-person (San Francisco, CA), remote or hybrid position.
What We’re Building
Imagine building a game that you would gladly play with your friends or family. We are creating a game that enables communities of players to build and nurture cozy virtual worlds together.
Games are a powerful way to build communities because they easily supply the core building blocks: strong identity and shared purpose. We use intentional game design decisions to foster community with a goal of bringing joy to players through meaningful cooperative experiences.
Come join Uncommon Games and help us achieve this goal!
- Lead the design and implementation of key gameplay systems.
- Coordinate with the multiplayer team to ensure high performance networked sandbox gameplay.
- Write robust code that is performant and easy to read.
- Help with hiring to grow our engineering team over the next few months as we enter production.
- Keep the engineering team in sync by contributing strong documentation, actively participating in pull requests and design reviews, and accurately tracking task progression.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with the larger team through participation in cross-functional design critiques, feedback, iteration requests, changes in scope, and dependencies.
- At least 5 years in a software engineering / game development role at an established game studio.
- Expertise with modern game development tools with a preference for Unity, C#, Git.
- Experience in all stages of the game development lifecycle from prototyping, to pre-production, to production, to live operations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. As a remote first team, we have the additional challenge of trying to keep coordinated across time zones and geographies so this is particularly important to us.
You’ll be an exceptional fit for this role if you are excited about the role, meet the above qualifications, and really enjoy games. Other factors that are valued for this role but are not required include:
- Experience shipping a cross platform 3d game.
- Proficiency in one or multiple of the following: netcode, procedural generation, graphics programming (custom shaders, GPU performance), server infrastructure.
- Experience developing games with creative, sandbox, open world, or cross platform aspects.
- Enjoy playing cooperative, multiplayer games.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field.
Please send us an email with the subject line “Senior Software Engineer, Gameplay” with your resume / LinkedIn profile and a link to your Github or portfolio (if applicable). While a portfolio is not required for this position, it will help with our evaluation.
Uncommon Games is a venture-backed studio founded by passionate industry veterans. We have extensive experience developing games that have been played by millions of players around the world.
We strive to cultivate an inspiring and supportive work environment. We’re proud to offer:
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Professional autonomy and radical ownership
- Meaningful creative input into the product
- Healthy work-life balance
- Commitment to growth and learning: We play games together every Friday!