We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer with a passion for the unconventional. We make innovative games in a variety of genres with accessibility and depth to delight our audiences, no matter who they are. We are the creators behind the award-winning, hit games Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit and Knockout City. We believe in maintaining a collaborative, diverse, and creative team environment and we’re looking for new team members who have a desire to help grow our studio.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Producer to support the production of a new title in development at Velan Studios. The Producer will work closely with the project’s key leaders to successfully execute on a new, ground-breaking, original IP. The Producer will help manage the project development from pre-production through to product launch, working with key internal and external stakeholders to deliver on all critical milestones.
If you’re an experienced game producer, we want to hear from you!
- Work with project leads to define and delineate project requirements and milestones.
- Facilitate communication and planning across project teams and sub-teams.
- Build and maintain project backlogs, roadmaps, schedules and documentation.
- Conduct regular, effective retrospectives and post-mortem reviews.
- Collaborate and support in solving problems and resolving issues across the development team.
- Coordinate the work of cross-functional development teams to manage features and content from idea generation to in-game implementation.
- Ensure features and content follow established documentation and development workflows.
- Manage the prioritization of tasks, bugs, design iteration, and user/tester feedback.
- Anticipate and address potential problems like resource blockers, quality concerns, and scope changes. Communicate effectively to ensure these problems are resolved quickly.
- Lead and provide mentorship to Associate Producers, Production Coordinators and QA team members.
- 5+ years of game industry experience, including at least one shipped AAA title.
- Experience managing teams or sub-teams of 5 to 20 developers.
- Ability to create, track, and maintain schedules across multiple teams or sub-teams.
- A deep understanding of software development processes, project management, and agile development methodologies.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be successful in technical environments.
- Experience coordinating and/or managing engineers, artists, and/or game designers.
- Strong understanding of development workflows, production processes, testing, outsourcing, licensing, and development project management.
- An internal drive to keep team members working efficiently and effectively toward project goals.
- Passion for continuous improvement.
- Experience and understanding of localization requirements of different types of game assets for world-wide product releases.
- Diverse experience with Jira for task management and bug tracking; including database setup, organization, and maintenance.
- A passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
- Experience with speaking to press, publishing partners and game community members in an official development capacity.
- PMP Certification.
Velan Studios is a small team going after multiple, bold creative new ideas. Many of us have done the large, AAA development thing for decades. But we think with a seasoned and scrappy team, we can do things differently – so every member of the team has a creative voice.
Working Better, Together
We are building an environment conducive to delivering our best work. Our office is a community that works and plays together.
- Unconventionally World Class. We embrace the unexpected. We create breakthrough games by building on our expertise and challenging conventions. We are scrappy: solving problems and inventing new experiences in audacious new ways. These unconventional approaches lead to unexpected discoveries.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity drives us and our experiences. We find energy in new ideas and approaches. We use technology and design to bring new experiences to the gaming community. We cultivate an environment that encourages experimentation and rigor. We relentlessly pursue the MAGIC.
- Respect and Responsibility. We are passionate about being an inclusive community of unique individuals. We believe in prioritizing and respecting the player. Our players’ time is valuable and we are honored that they choose to spend part of it with us. We respect the members of our team and know that they will make the right choices with our players in mind at every level.
- Community of Makers and Players. We are stronger together than the sum of our parts: we value people and perspectives. Community is a way to get things done. We seek to engage our community wherever we can in building great games. It is a springboard for innovation. It is a well of talent and a means to finding new game experiences.
A Great Place to Work and Live
Velan Studios is located in the beautiful Capital Region of Upstate New York, which includes Albany and Troy. The Capital Region is a growing tech & creative hub with a thriving video game development scene. Our offices are located in Troy’s historic downtown, which is comprised of renovated historic buildings full of new energy. The region boasts beautiful architecture, great museums, and amazing history. It’s also a very affordable city, with great events, hip nightlife and is accessible to a variety of outdoor adventures, making it a perfect spot to live.
Team up and duke it out with rival Crews in Knockout City™, where EPIC DODGEBALL BATTLES settle the score in team-based multiplayer matches. Throw, catch, pass, dodge, and tackle your way to dodgeball dominance!
In Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, create your very own course in your home as you watch the Mario Kart come into the real world like never before! Race in different Grand Prix Cups to unlock customization options for your own Custom Race, or play with up to 3 friends as you race for the finish line.