We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer with a passion for the unconventional, and we are looking for a veteran technical designer, a creative builder who loves to iterate. This is a highly collaborative role, working closely with artists, designers, and programmers. We have three requirements:
- At least three years of professional experience creating game mechanics and/or game user interface.
- We use a mix of languages. Our engine and tools are written in C. Game mechanics are implemented with our in-house scripting language. You should be comfortable learning new languages and have prior scripting language experience. Knowledge of C/C++ is helpful but not required.
- Our curiosity drives us. You must be deeply curious about something and have some evidence of that curiosity. We are looking for candidates that demonstrate a pattern of persistent and self-motivated exploration.
Some things you might find yourself doing in this role:
- Brainstorming new game mechanics with the team.
- Jumping into game code/script to implement.
- Modifying the level editor to support a new game mechanic.
- Presenting a rough version of a new mechanic to the team and gathering feedback.
- Taking a rough version of a game mechanic to a debugged, optimized, and shippable state.
While gameplay is your area of expertise, we do not hire programmers so that they may work exclusively in one specialized area. Programmers should own areas of our technology but have the flexibility to work across the codebase. Future members of our team need to be ready to embrace our studio values including:
- World class games through unconventional thinking.
- Respect for players and colleagues. Ready for the responsibility that comes from that respect.
- Regional technology and game development community engagement.
- Full-time or Contract
- On-site or Hybrid
Velan Studios is a small team going after multiple, bold creative new ideas. Many of us have done the large, AAA development thing for decades. But we think with a seasoned and scrappy team, we can do things differently – so every member of the team has a creative voice.
Working Better, Together
We are building an environment conducive to delivering our best work. Our office is a community that works and plays together.
- Unconventionally World Class. We embrace the unexpected. We create breakthrough games by building on our expertise and challenging conventions. We are scrappy: solving problems and inventing new experiences in audacious new ways. These unconventional approaches lead to unexpected discoveries.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity drives us and our experiences. We find energy in new ideas and approaches. We use technology and design to bring new experiences to the gaming community. We cultivate an environment that encourages experimentation and rigor. We relentlessly pursue the MAGIC.
- Respect and Responsibility. We are passionate about being an inclusive community of unique individuals. We believe in prioritizing and respecting the player. Our players’ time is valuable and we are honored that they choose to spend part of it with us. We respect the members of our team and know that they will make the right choices with our players in mind at every level.
- Community of Makers and Players. We are stronger together than the sum of our parts: we value people and perspectives. Community is a way to get things done. We seek to engage our community wherever we can in building great games. It is a springboard for innovation. It is a well of talent and a means to finding new game experiences.
A Great Place to Work and Live
Velan Studios is located in the beautiful Capital Region of Upstate New York, which includes Albany and Troy. The Capital Region is a growing tech & creative hub with a thriving video game development scene. Our offices are located in Troy’s historic downtown, which is comprised of renovated historic buildings full of new energy. The region boasts beautiful architecture, great museums, and amazing history. It’s also a very affordable city, with great events, hip nightlife and is accessible to a variety of outdoor adventures, making it a perfect spot to live.
Team up and duke it out with rival Crews in Knockout City™, where EPIC DODGEBALL BATTLES settle the score in team-based multiplayer matches. Throw, catch, pass, dodge, and tackle your way to dodgeball dominance!
In Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, create your very own course in your home as you watch the Mario Kart come into the real world like never before! Race in different Grand Prix Cups to unlock customization options for your own Custom Race, or play with up to 3 friends as you race for the finish line.