Mysteria Studio is seeking an experienced Lead Level Designer for a freelance position to play a key role in shaping the world of our PC Action RPG project.
You’ll lead and motivate a talented team of Level Designers, for which your level design, technical, and leadership skills are of great importance.
We offer a fully remote work arrangement with flexible working hours.
- Optimizing our level design processes in collaboration with the Game Director, Producers, and our Lead Artist;
- Help with the big-picture level design decisions (important building & quest locations);
- Participate in the scheduling of the level design;
- Managing the level design team and assigning tasks to each team member;
- Collaborating with concept artists and our writer to create level design briefings for each area;
- Reviewing the work of our level design team, giving constructive feedback, and providing solutions to problems;
- Improving our onboarding materials for new level designers;
- Helping expand our level design team and reviewing the portfolios of new applicants.
- Experience working on at least one commercially shipped game as a (lead) level designer;
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in level design roles within the video game industry;
- Expert in designing levels that are aesthetically believable and include engaging gameplay;
- Ability to work in a self-organized manner within a team, while being respectful and an attentive listener;
- Minimum availability of 1-2 hours per work day to provide essential feedback to our team members;
- Experience with level design in Unreal Engine 4 or 5;
- Comfortable with leading a 100% remote working team;
- Excellent communication and leadership skills;
- Experience in guiding and mentoring other team members;
- Plus: Working knowledge of the Unreal Engine Material and Landscape systems;
- Plus: Familiar with the level design of Gothic I, II, or similar Action RPGs.
Please send us an email with the following information :
- Your CV and a link to your online portfolio and / or examples of your past work in PDF form.
- Your hourly pay rate.
- Optionally, a few words about projects you’ve worked on, medieval fantasy things you like etc.
- Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the job.
The first step for select candidates is to go through an onboarding process before they can join the team.
This is done via a Level Design Guide & a Google Meet call. We know that your time is valuable, and try to keep these as brief as possible.
The second step is to sign a freelance contract and complete an application task, which is paid at your regular pay rate.
We‘re looking forward to your applications!
Mysteria Studio UG is an established German indie game development studio with an international team, founded in 2012. We strive for high visual quality, engaging gameplay, and technical excellence to offer gamers the best possible experience. We’re proud to have an inclusive work environment and encourage members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply!
Project Stormbringer is an upcoming Action RPG, inspired by the Gothic and The Witcher games series.
The player washes up on an island’s shore as a nameless nobody and must complete a large variety of quests to work their way up, to become a powerful hero. While monsters and magical abominations run rampant on the island, the player must quell an ancient god who threatens to rise again and wipe out the island’s inhabitants.
- Unique Artstyle. We infuse hyperrealism with an artistic touch to create both picturesque landscapes and dark fantasy dungeons.
- Corruption System. The system provides additional variety in the Action RPG gameplay by adding even more challenging combat encounters and rewarding players with rare upgrade materials.
- Immersive Atmosphere. A believable medieval fantasy world to explore, which gradually reveals its secrets.