Understory Games is a small indie games studio based in Los Angeles, California. We’re working on Cinder Ridge, a squad based simulation game about wildland/forest restoration. We’re working towards our vertical slice of our game, which we hope to have ready by mid-2024. You’ll be working closely with our other engineers, lead game designer, and UX designer to implement new gameplay features. You can see our progress on the game thus far on our website.
- Contract, hourly, remote, 30-40 hours/week preferred. $60-70/hour.
- Implement new gameplay features, mechanics, and UI systems
- Write clean, memory-efficient, and well documented code
- Work closely with our small team of engineers, designers, and artists.
Examples of projects you would be working on:
- Inventory and equipment systems
- Farming, crafting, or building systems
- Excellent Unity and C# skills.
- Experience working with Unity UI
- Experience with version control systems
- Works well independently
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Live in and legally authorized to work in the United States
Nice to Haves:
- Experience working with a small team
- Experience working with Unity’s Networking for Game Objects
- Experience working with shaders
- Located on the West Coast/Pacific Time
- Fan of farming sims
- Interest in ecology and nature
For this position, we’ll be conducting a technical interview to assess your experience and comfort with Unity. The interview will not have any live coding sections, it will be purely conversational. The interview will consist of three parts:
- The first section will be questions about your previous experiences, so we recommend taking time to think of some examples of things you’ve worked on that you’re excited to share with us!
- The second section of the interview will involve some short-answer questions covering different technical skills. The types of things being covered will be: Unity Fundamentals, C# Fundamentals, Networking, Multi-Threading, Data Structures, Asynchronous Execution, Actions, and Vector Math.
- The third section of the interview will be open-ended problem-solving exercises that we will work through together, to get a better understanding of what it would be like to have you on our team!
How to Apply:
To apply, please send us an email with your resume, linkedin, and a short cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you!