We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer focused on creating ground-breaking innovative game experiences across existing and emerging platforms. Velan Studios’ team members have created, developed and contributed to some of the most impactful and innovative game franchises of the last 20 years, including Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Rock Band, Mario Maker, Tony Hawk, Metroid Prime, and Uncharted. Velan Studios is based in Troy, NY.
At Velan, we believe in maintaining a collaborative, diverse, and creative team environment and we’re looking for new team members who have a desire to help grow our studio.
If you’re an experienced QA Tester, we would love to hear from you!
- Pre- and Post-integration testing (ad hoc, testcase driven, and/or tools-assisted manual testing).
- Discovery, reproduction and regression of defects, as well as defect origin analysis.
- Risk analysis of new features and iterations, including impact and scope.
- Continuous Test Planning and execution with upstream test practices.
- Debugging support, log capture, and general capabilities to tinker with various technologies.
- Excellent understanding of software quality assurance concepts, debugging processes and procedures
- Understanding of the software development life cycle and how it applies to QA
- Ability to develop and foster strong working relationships with development partners, customers, support teams, and management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including accurate and timely reporting
- Strong observational skills, analytical, and detail oriented
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Exceptional organization and time management skills, and experience working in a Scrum/Agile environment is a plus
- Ability to take ownership of individual project requirements without constant supervision
- Familiarity with PC, Console, and Mobile platforms
- Minimum 1-3 years of QA experience
- Experience and understanding of localization requirements of different types of game assets for world-wide product releases.
- Some background in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other coding is preferred but not essential
- Experience with Jira for task management and bug tracking
- A passion for games and gaming technology
Velan Studios is a small team going after multiple, bold creative new ideas. Many of us have done the large, AAA development thing for decades. But we think with a seasoned and scrappy team, we can do things differently – so every member of the team has a creative voice.
Working Better, Together
We are building an environment conducive to delivering our best work. Our office is a community that works and plays together.
- Unconventionally World Class. We embrace the unexpected. We create breakthrough games by building on our expertise and challenging conventions. We are scrappy: solving problems and inventing new experiences in audacious new ways. These unconventional approaches lead to unexpected discoveries.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity drives us and our experiences. We find energy in new ideas and approaches. We use technology and design to bring new experiences to the gaming community. We cultivate an environment that encourages experimentation and rigor. We relentlessly pursue the MAGIC.
- Respect and Responsibility. We are passionate about being an inclusive community of unique individuals. We believe in prioritizing and respecting the player. Our players’ time is valuable and we are honored that they choose to spend part of it with us. We respect the members of our team and know that they will make the right choices with our players in mind at every level.
- Community of Makers and Players. We are stronger together than the sum of our parts: we value people and perspectives. Community is a way to get things done. We seek to engage our community wherever we can in building great games. It is a springboard for innovation. It is a well of talent and a means to finding new game experiences.
A Great Place to Work and Live
Velan Studios is located in the beautiful Capital Region of Upstate New York, which includes Albany and Troy. The Capital Region is a growing tech & creative hub with a thriving video game development scene. Our offices are located in Troy’s historic downtown, which is comprised of renovated historic buildings full of new energy. The region boasts beautiful architecture, great museums, and amazing history. It’s also a very affordable city, with great events, hip nightlife and is accessible to a variety of outdoor adventures, making it a perfect spot to live.
Team up and duke it out with rival Crews in Knockout City™, where EPIC DODGEBALL BATTLES settle the score in team-based multiplayer matches. Throw, catch, pass, dodge, and tackle your way to dodgeball dominance!
In Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, create your very own course in your home as you watch the Mario Kart come into the real world like never before! Race in different Grand Prix Cups to unlock customization options for your own Custom Race, or play with up to 3 friends as you race for the finish line.