We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer with a passion for the unconventional. We make innovative games in a variety of genres with accessibility and depth to delight our audiences, no matter who they are. We believe in maintaining a creative, collaborative, and diverse team environment at our studio, and we are looking for passionate and capable people to join our team of experienced AAA console developers.
We are seeking an experienced UI Artist who will support the visual design of the User Interface in addition to 2D assets which will be created for the in-game world. The UI Artist works with the Art Director and UI/UX team to create polished, visually engaging assets and uses in-house tools to implement and animate UI.
- Create high-quality UI visual components including - icons, logos, HUD elements, illustrations, etc.
- Create quality art in-game by following visual guidelines defined by the UI/UX team or Art Director.
- Work closely with the UI/UX Team and Art Director to ensure that a visually consistent and compelling user interface is implemented across products.
- Responsible for creating easy to read concepts and taking them through to final polished 2D assets.
- Create motion graphic transitions and visual elements that bring the design to life.
- Contribute to peer reviews, troubleshoot, problem solve, and give and receive constructive feedback.
- Develop interface mockups and wireframes in addition to assisting with establishing UI style guide for review and feedback from Designers, Artists, Engineers, and Producers.
- 5+ years of game industry experience on console, mobile, handheld and/or PC platforms preferred.
- Degree or equivalent experience in Digital Media Design, Game Design, Illustration, or related field is desired.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in UI.• Strong portfolio of shipped games (mobile, console, PC) or other website or software products.
- Excellent conceptual, illustration, and graphic design skills.
- Demonstrate good use of typography, iconography, composition, color theory, and motion graphics.
- Understand flow, composition, and design as they relate to the user experience.
- High level of proficiency with Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Strong organizational skills with adherence to optimization and asset management.
- Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
- Experience in UX Design.
- Prior experience in a leadership or mentoring role
Velan Studios is a small team going after multiple, bold creative new ideas. Many of us have done the large, AAA development thing for decades. But we think with a seasoned and scrappy team, we can do things differently – so every member of the team has a creative voice.
Working Better, Together
We are building an environment conducive to delivering our best work. Our office is a community that works and plays together.
- Unconventionally World Class. We embrace the unexpected. We create breakthrough games by building on our expertise and challenging conventions. We are scrappy: solving problems and inventing new experiences in audacious new ways. These unconventional approaches lead to unexpected discoveries.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity drives us and our experiences. We find energy in new ideas and approaches. We use technology and design to bring new experiences to the gaming community. We cultivate an environment that encourages experimentation and rigor. We relentlessly pursue the MAGIC.
- Respect and Responsibility. We are passionate about being an inclusive community of unique individuals. We believe in prioritizing and respecting the player. Our players’ time is valuable and we are honored that they choose to spend part of it with us. We respect the members of our team and know that they will make the right choices with our players in mind at every level.
- Community of Makers and Players. We are stronger together than the sum of our parts: we value people and perspectives. Community is a way to get things done. We seek to engage our community wherever we can in building great games. It is a springboard for innovation. It is a well of talent and a means to finding new game experiences.
A Great Place to Work and Live
Velan Studios is located in the beautiful Capital Region of Upstate New York, which includes Albany and Troy. The Capital Region is a growing tech & creative hub with a thriving video game development scene. Our offices are located in Troy’s historic downtown, which is comprised of renovated historic buildings full of new energy. The region boasts beautiful architecture, great museums, and amazing history. It’s also a very affordable city, with great events, hip nightlife and is accessible to a variety of outdoor adventures, making it a perfect spot to live.
Team up and duke it out with rival Crews in Knockout City™, where EPIC DODGEBALL BATTLES settle the score in team-based multiplayer matches. Throw, catch, pass, dodge, and tackle your way to dodgeball dominance!
In Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, create your very own course in your home as you watch the Mario Kart come into the real world like never before! Race in different Grand Prix Cups to unlock customization options for your own Custom Race, or play with up to 3 friends as you race for the finish line.