We hosted an AMA with Buddy Sola, Community Manager at Akupara Games. Listen to him talk about topics ranging from company culture, interviewing tips, and their closed Marketing Strategist & Game Publishing Producer roles!
[.c-highlight]You can listen to the full audio recording above! We’ve broken down all the questions and topics below so you can get a nice feel for what was discussed[.c-highlight]
Questions / Topics
- A bit of an introduction from Buddy!
- A little bit about the roles they had open, and why
- How Akupara works as a publishing company, and what kind of clients do they take on
- How did he go from Square Enix to Akupara Games?
- Some key differences between Square Enix and Akupara, going from AAA to indie
- What kind of things they were looking for for both open roles
- Buddy describes Akupara and its culture in his own words
- How he went from a place that already had an established process (typically AAA) versus having less/none (typically Indie)
- Problem solvers - what every job app is looking for
- How has the company changed since Buddy joined
- How big are the teams/company?
- So this is a backfill for a role, not a new one? Why is that?
- A lawn mower analogy? For a Marketing position?
- Interviewing - one key skill that he is looking for
- How can someone best represent themselves in an interview?
- Advice for breaking into the games industry
- More about the VIP program
- Any advice for an indie studio prerelease of a game - specifically marketing and community management
- Akupara gives comprehensive feedback on games submitted to them
- A skill Buddy learned while working at Akupara that surprised him that he was able to get good at. How did he get good at it?
- Favorite type of trailer format and any formulas he’s noticed while making them.
- How does he compare candidates after the interview process?
- Will Akupara be growing in the future to hire more for their Marketing & Social team?
- Any parting advice for those applying for the open roles, or those wanting to level up in their current marketing/community roles!
Participate and ask questions in future events live in our Discord!