This is a remote position for Canadian residents only, with an option to work in-office if you're located in Victoria, BC.
- Love to deliver impactful player experiences
- Enjoy respectful debates, even with your leaders
- See the value in every player
- Understand that you win and lose as a team
We Believe In:
- Autonomy and the freedom to express your ideas
- The power of small teams
- Building meaningful connections through lasting social games
- Making mistakes, embracing our failures, and learning from them
- Transparency fostered by communication and collaboration
- Driven by PLAYER OBSESSION, we look to craft unparalleled gaming experiences.
- OWNERSHIP is our compass, propelling us to deliver exceptional results.
- With a spirit of RESOURCEFULNESS, we fearlessly tackle challenges and defy limitations.
- Driven by the ethos of CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT, we foster a culture of perpetual learning and growth.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Principal Software Engineer with expert-level knowledge of Unity to join our Idle team. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will play a key role in shaping and executing our game development strategies of our live Idle games, while providing technical mentorship to our development team.
What you will be responsible for:
- Leading the design and development of our Idle games using the Unity game engine
- Driving technical innovation and providing guidance on architectural decisions and best practices
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams, including artists, designers, and developers, to deliver high-quality and immersive game experiences
- Mentoring and guiding Junior/Intermediate Developers, fostering their growth and ensuring adherence to coding standards
- Conducting code reviews, identifying areas for improvement, and optimizing game performance
- Staying abreast of industry trends and emerging technologies, exploring opportunities to enhance our games
- Collaborating with stakeholders to define technical requirements and project milestones
- Actively contributing to the development and maintenance of technical documentation
Your background should look something like:
- A minimum of 7 years of experience as a game developer, with a dedicated focus on Unity for at least 4 years and at least 1 released title.
- Deep understanding of supporting mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Deep understanding of the tools and processes involved in operating a game-as-a-service
- Ability to provide technical guidance, mentorship, and support to developers at all levels
- Expert-level proficiency in C# and strong knowledge of object-oriented programming principles
- In-depth understanding of game development principles, including gameplay mechanics and user interface design
- Solid experience with game optimization, performance profiling, and debugging techniques
- Strong leadership and communication skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Passion for pushing the boundaries of game development and delivering exceptional player experiences
What we offer
- Competitive wages determined by market research
- Uncapped profit share program
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- 3 weeks vacation to start
- Paid holiday shutdown in December
- 12 paid Care Days per year
- Yearly Continuous Improvement allowance
- A results-driven company with a compassionate culture
- Opportunity to work on game projects that are enjoyed by millions of players worldwide!
- Ability to make a difference. Have an idea? Talk directly with leadership about it instead of running through layers of bureaucracy
Bootstrapped in 2008, we have been a profitable and growing game studio for over a decade. With hits like Free Rider HD and Mob Wars LCN (Top 100 grossing app on Facebook), and our recent growing success Idle Distiller, we hope to contribute to the world by connecting people through play.
Locally owned and headquartered in downtown Victoria, BC, we believe in giving small teams of talented people challenging problems and getting out of their way. That’s why we look for the best and brightest to join our team; people who have talent, vision, and commitment.
Check out this article if you'd like to get some insight into our hiring process, our employee manual to understand how and why we do things the way we do, or this fun little video for an intro to the team.
*Kano is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law*