Cold Symmetry is the studio that created Mortal Shell - a successful, award-winning indie title crafted by a small and passionate team. As we grow bigger and aim to produce better games, we want to preserve our culture of autonomy, quality, creativity, and focus. We want to fill our team with people like us who set ambitious goals, are not afraid to take creative risks, and pour their heart and soul into making a game they love, and ultimately, would love to play.
We are a distributed studio and all of our positions are fully remote. We are considering candidates from anywhere in the world as long as you're really good at what you do. What matters to us is that you're competent, resourceful, take extreme ownership in your specialized area, and have a burning desire to get things done.
We’re hiring talented individuals now to work on our ambitious new IP. You’ll be joining a project in production with well-scoped goals and milestones. We’re a small team of industry veterans striving to make something incredible. Come join us.
If you have a passion for building and playing melee combat action RPGs, we want to hear from you.
You’ll Own (responsibilities)
- You’ll be joining our project in the prototyping phase and contribute key ideas to the overall feel and play of the game
- You will work with the team to design and build a unique world/level structure and macro level flow which merges the game’s narrative beats and gameplay
- Translate narrative and gameplay goals into level layouts, using 2D maps, diagrams, and documentation
- Wield the power of UE5 to whitebox and iterate on environment art layouts, place game objects, and use Blueprints to script level progression
- Deeply collaborate with artists, designers, programmers, and other disciplines to craft the vision for your levels and bring them to life
- You will own the levels you are working on, identifying next steps, working with the team to create schedules, and facilitating communication across disciplines to guarantee the quality of your levels, from inception to completion
- Apply your knowledge of level-creation pipelines to define and constantly improve our approach to level creation
- You will work within a small team with specific direction and minimal supervision, proactively identifying areas of improvement and taking initiative to present opportunities and solutions across your levels
- Contribute to design discussions and provide feedback on all aspects of the game
Your XP and Skills (requirements)
- 3+ years experience working on games
- Ability to work autonomously, without micromanagement but still deliver on goals
- Previous experience taking a game from concept through to launch and being able to contribute to the core of the early design loop
- Solid understanding of level design principles, such as level flow, pacing, macro structure, engagement, and environmental storytelling to build spaces that support combat, traversal, and narrative
- Solid understanding of interplay between systems and 3D spaces; ability to take a system or enemy class and build levels that highlight it in novel and creative ways
- Ability to understand and craft a player’s emotional journey through a level
- Able to analyze and thoughtfully critique 3D spaces
- Understanding of Unreal Engine’s level editor and level streaming / world partition systems, or related experience
- Experience with Unreal Engine Blueprints or alternative scripting languages to script level progression and event choreography
- Passion for and understanding of Character Action titles
- Self motivated and able work independently as part of a fully distributed and, at times, a-sync team to meet deadlines and milestone requirements
- Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
- Pay: $30.00 - $50.00 per hour
- Experience: 3 years of level design (Required)
- Work Location: Remote
Please include work samples with your application, applications submitted without work examples will not be considered.
Cold Symmetry, founded in 2017 by a core team of four, is best known for its debut title Mortal Shell. The studio is composed of AAA veterans with a strong passion for making games of their own. Their distributed development model allows them to work with the brightest and most talented people in the industry around the world.
Mortal Shell is a deep action-RPG that tests your sanity and resilience in a shattered world. As the remains of humanity wither and rot, zealous foes fester in the ruins. They spare no mercy, with survival demanding superior awareness, precision and instincts. Track down hidden sanctums of devout followers and discover your true purpose.