Sketchbook Games are a small independent studio based in Suffolk / Essex in the UK, who mostly work remotely. We have released our debut game, the multi- award winning Lost Words: Beyond the Page on Steam, Playstation 4, Xbox One and Switch. The game features a story written by renowned games writer Rhianna Pratchett and an orchestral soundtrack by BAFTA nominated composer David Housden. We are now using the Unreal Engine to develop a new project– a first person narrative based walking sim with light puzzles based on the theme of mental health and anxiety.
- We believe diverse teams make better games so we are keen to attract all kinds of candidates, particularly those from underrepresented groups in the games industry.
- We aim to continue to build an inclusive environment and are committed to continually listening, reflecting and improving our practices and culture.
- We are a small, friendly team.
- We’re using Codecks for task planning and have weekly team voice calls on Discord.
We have a fully remote team, and we all work during the times that suit us best. We do try and synchronise rough core hours for team communication but some team members choose to work half days and others to only work certain days each week so we do our best to make sure everyone is accommodated. We will also be having monthly, but optional, team meets in London.
In a nutshell:
• Fully remote • Small team • Inclusive games • Flexible hours • Freelance contract
- Contract: Freelance, part-time and remote: we are flexible on the hours based on your availability and the project needs - a day or half day a week to start with, with the potential to scale up could work well.
- Timeline: We are looking for the right team addition, therefore this role will be open until we have a really good match. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply fast to avoid disappointment!
- Recruitment process: The first stage is submitting your CV and answering the job questions, if you are successful you will be invited for a video interview.
- Reporting: You will report directly to the CEO/ Creative Director.
- Structure: We’re a small team with a very flat structure and are open to discussing how people’s roles can evolve to accommodate what they want to work on.
- Salary: While we don't have salary ranges, we are happy to be as flexible as possible for the right candidate, if we can't reach your salary expectation we will be happy to adapt the hours to make a more appealing offer. We can offer an hourly/daily rate or a project fee if preferable.
- As a small team, good verbal & written communication are a must, we expect you to be friendly and capable of expressing your opinion calmly, having other people in mind.
- You will good at giving and receiving feedback.
- You will need to want to make games that have something to say and can make a positive difference to players
- You will need to be able to work with all disciplines.
- Understand, spot, track and communicate problems
- Be good at identifying, suggesting and actioning potential solutions
- Coordinate and assist with areas such as marketing, focus testing and more
- Manage our backlog to ensure tasks are prioritised and team goals are clear
- Help the team plan time estimates and keep the team and project on track
- Be flexible, self-motivated and open minded
- Foster an environment of ongoing improvement
- Be autonomous, and support the team’s own autonomy with their tasks and hours
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to interact with the team on Discord and answer their questions
- Experience working on at least one released game
- Experience shipping a game on multiple platforms
Excellent communication skills, cross-disciplinary understanding, feedback-oriented, collaboration, teamwork, positivity, leadership
Excellent written skills, knowledge of a production tool such as Jira, Asana, CoDecks, Notion or Basecamp.
To apply, please send us your CV and your answers to these two questions:
- In bullet points, please demonstrate how you would approach the Production role and assess the workload, team needs and next steps, bearing in mind this is a new project with no tracking or planning done yet.
- What are the most important systems, tools, methodologies or anything else you would need or like to set up in order to work efficiently and independently on a very collaborative, remote project?
Making a difference through play. We believe that video games are one of the most powerful storytelling mediums and use them to create unique, moving experiences.
Our debut game, Lost Words: Beyond the Page, is a multi-award winning atmospheric puzzler, set between the pages of a diary and a fantasy land.
Featuring a story by renowned games writer Rhianna Pratchett the game ties the narrative into the gameplay in an unusual way, by having the player running on and interacting with words to solve puzzles.